I'm not going to do another dish!!!
I will do anything else instead of dishes...
Mow the lawn with our push mower? Sure! Reorganize an entire storage room in one day? Done!
Vaccuum? Check! Take care of a sick young child? Done.
Laundry? Exercise? Fill out more paperwork? Check, check, and check!
I don't know what it is about doing dishes, but I seriously hate that chore. I love seeing a nice clean kitchen and a shiny sink with all of our dishes neatly tucked away in the cabinets. The results I love. On most other things, I'm very self motivated. Heck, I probably wouldn't be alive today if I weren't that way... But even just getting started on washing is like pulling my own tooth out. I have to quickly get on with it before my brain can think up reasons (ahem...excuses) to let them all just hang there.
I have even
So, what do I do?
I can't just let them sit there and gather mold.
What usually helps me is:
1.) Music. I turn it up and just force myself to get it done! (Really, Shakira should be receiving royalties for how many mountains of dishes she's helped me conquer!)
2.) Nature. It also helps if I keep the window open so I can look at the flowers on the window sill or the antics of the birds in the garden.
3.) Perspective. I've tried to change my perspective about it too. I'm trying to view doing all of my chores -including the dishes- as an act of kindness, an act of service for my family regardless of my feelings about the task itself. Which leads to my next point...
4.) Worship.
- All the world religions talk about serving others, being a productive member of your community, and the importance of cleanliness.
- As a Baha'i, my work, even if it is just washing my family's dishes, can be a form of worshiping God. Read more here: "To accomplish its purpose, work cannot be reduced to a mere means of satisfying wants and needs. It must find constant expression in service to humanity. When performed in a spirit of service, work may be seen as an act of worship. '[A]ll effort and exertion put forth by man from the fullness of his heart is worship, if it is prompted by the highest motives and the will to do service to humanity.' 3 are ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s words. 'This is worship,' He continues, 'to serve mankind and to minister to the needs of the people.'4"
- You could look for scriptures in your own faith to find encouraging words about being of service to others.
- Even if you're agnostic or atheist, common sense will tell you that a community needs cooperation, a bit of unselfishness, and a clean environment in order to run smoothly and keep everyone healthy. Maybe you can look for a famous philosopher's or scientist's words on community and cleanliness to give you further inspiration.
- It might be a good idea to post one of those quotes next to where you have to complete the undesirable task as a regular reminder.
5.) Results. Then, there is the reward of having an empty sink and everything ready to go for the next day. It's nice not to have something hanging over your head.
Of course, some of these things could help me in other areas of my life as well. Not just dishes. Dishes in themselves aren't this big of a deal to some, but it is the underlying attitude toward service and cleanliness that could either negatively or positively leak into completing other items on my to-do list or even effect my social interactions.
Q&A Time Readers!
What is your least favorite chore?
What do you do to push through and get the job done?
Do you have a favorite chore?
Another friend of mine told me that he enjoys washing dishes because he found it to be calming- a sort of meditation for him. Maybe I'll get there one day.
If you're like me and listen to music to help you, what's on your playlist?
Could you share some scriptures or inspirational quotes that might help you w/ serving others and/or keeping things physically clean?
