Today, I'm going to teach you how to make the letter décor craft I just completed in 5 easy steps.
It's not complicated or difficult.
Because of some of the materials though, I would not recommend it for children.
You can use this project to spell out a word or simply display one letter.
Materials:
Cheap canvases (Determine the length of the word you want. Then get a canvas for each letter.)
Fabric (enough to cover canvases)
Fabric scissors
Wooden letters (must be small enough to fit one on each canvas)
Acrylic Paint (color of your choosing...I ended up choosing metallic silver after a mistake.)
Paintbrush
Textile Glue
Iron (to smooth your fabric)
Cover for your surface (I used a broken down soda box to keep the mess off of my table.)
Double-sided tape (optional)
Gloves (Optional...This is only if you don't want your hands to get paint or glue on them. I didn't care & didn't use gloves.)
*If you're wanting to mount this on the wall, you'll have to figure out how you want to do that. You could add a picture frame hook and use that and a nail in the wall to display yours.
***A well ventilated area, especially for the gluing part!***
Step 1:
Cover your surface and paint the wooden letters. Coat every nook and cranny with paint. Be careful to keep it neat as excess paint will try to spill over the edges and create an uneven appearance. Allow to dry.
 |
| At first I thought about painting my letters "Metallic Red".... |
 |
| But to me, it turned out to looking more pink than red even after allowing it to dry, and I'm not a fan of pink. So, it had to be changed ASAP... |
Step 2:
Cut out your fabric to the correct size to cover and wrap around to the back of your canvas's frame.
 |
| My fabric all folded up...ready for cutting...I love the print on the fabric. They were leftover swatches bundled into a pack and on sale! I sold some things at a consignment shop and bought this beautiful fabric. I really like modern leaf designs. |
 |
I cut one piece of fabric out to match the size of the canvas and then used it as a pattern to cut the other three pieces out.
Step 3:
Iron your fabric! You don't want any wrinkles or creases.
 |
| I don't have much room for storage in my current home. Instead of a big ironing board, I use this thing which is made to be a safe surface for ironing, but that you can put anywhere and fold up like a small blanket when not in use. Love it! |
Step 4:
***Make sure your work area is well ventilated for this step.***
Glue your fabric to the wooden frame on the back of your canvas. Make sure you make all of your edges and corners flat and neat-no loose fabric. Think of it like wrapping a present. Allow it to dry! If you want, you can some double-sided tape to the underside of the edges of the fabric afterwards to give it a little more hold and a neater look (even though it will be facing the wall). (What can I say...I'm a part time perfectionist.)
 |
Two sides folded over...I folded the corners down around the wooden frame of the canvas as if I were wrapping a present. Then, I lifted the flap of folded fabric up. Put glue between the frame of the canvas and the fabric and smoothed and pressed it together.
 |
| The ends of the fabric were too loose and unruly for my liking but refused to glue down to the inner edge of the frame. I used double-sided table on them for a little extra hold. Again, the tape is optional. |
|
 |
I think the lines of the fabric are creating an optical illusion here because the tape did help secure the ends without the fabric becoming too loose.
|
Step 5:
When it is completely dry on the back, turn the covered canvas over and glue your painted wooden letter to the canvas. Repeat this step to glue each individual letter onto its individual canvas. (Note: This is textile glue...Make sure you don't accidently glue your craft to your work surface!)
 |
| The covered canvases without their letters... |
And the letter glued onto its canvas!!
Have fun creating your own!
I would love to see a picture of your finished product in the comments!
If you write a blog post about yours, please provide a link to my blog and copy a link of your own blog post into the comments as well.
Please share this post on social media too.
~LadyH
*Please refrain from taking photos from this blog or altering them in any way without written permission from the author of this blog. Thank you for staying honest and respectful readers!
|