Sunday, October 11, 2015

17 Must Watch TV Shows for Adults on Netflix

I love watching Netflix. Surprise, surprise. Our family has had an account for years now- first in the US and then the UK. It's great entertainment for when I'm folding a mountain of laundry, sick, wanting to cuddle with my husband, having a crappy day, bored, needing a way to relax, my brain decides sleep isn't necessary, low on funds...You get the picture. (Badum tish!)

 I have made the sacrifice-just for you of course- of years worth of swimming through the shallow ocean of Netflix polluted with B list (at best) shows to discover these pearls...You're welcome.



Get your bowl of popcorn and find your favorite pajamas and a blanket to curl up in because I'm about to share my favorites and reviews list with you! Kiddie shows like "Peppa Pig" or "Bubble Guppies" will not be included...This is for the older audiences in your homes.


Note: My list is UK Netflix specific, but many of them are on US Netflix too...Oh, how I miss US Netflix sometimes! I wish they added more of the good stuff to both. (Does anyone know where I can watch my beloved "Rizzoli & Isles" without paying an arm and a leg?!)



Here it goes in no particular order...

TV Shows
1.) "Once Upon a Time": If you're a big kid at heart, you'll really enjoy this one. Fairy tales all grown up with a bits of reality stirred into this magic potion of a show. Their reimagining of Rumpelstiltskin's character is one of my favorites, and you'll be wishing you could borrow from their wardrobe for Halloween (or every day). My husband and I are pretty harsh critics of TV shows and movies. So, we did notice quite a few plot holes and things we wish we could change-like the redundancy of memory loss "twists", but I still love the overall concept even though my husband describes it as a "fairy tales soap opera"... And they're still coming out with new episodes! This would be a great one for a ladies' night in.
Preview:
https://youtu.be/Rga4rp4j5TY

2.) "Grimm": Yes, another "fairy tale" show...But, like the original Grimm brothers, this one is darker than others. If you like detective shows, then you'll love it! My husband likes "Grimm" more than "Once Upon a Time". Note: Some scenes are quite graphic.
Preview:
https://youtu.be/2rVy3RBJmNo

 3.) "Lie to Me": What woman doesn't love a main character who is a well dressed tormented genius with an English accent? He's also a bit of a scoundrel with an unhealthy amount of narcissism but is truly honorable at the core. Sometimes I wish I could be a human lie detector, but ultimately that super power appears to have too many cons to be personally beneficial.
Preview (w/ Spanish subtitles):
https://youtu.be/pbOgHa34Ec8

4.) "Arrested Development": A very funny sitcom about a crazy family with many quotable lines! Favorite Character: Tobias Funke. The first 3 seasons are much better than the last, but I heard that they might release another.
Preview (not the best):
https://youtu.be/HB7lel4I6lw

5.) "The 4400": Great for fans of Sci-Fi, Mystery, and Drama! 4400 people disappear over a matter of decades only to all appear suddenly with superhuman abilities. My husband and I watched all the episodes together.
Preview:
https://youtu.be/8Wey_sso-fk


6. ) "Orange is the New Black": Funny, provocative, a diverse majority female cast, something new and addicting. My only complaint would be that it seemed to over-fetishize lesbians at times probably for ratings, but on the other side of that coin, it did show some of the complexities of female relationships and lesbian relationships that you don't often get to see. Favorite characters? "Crazy Eyes" Suzanne (portrayed by Uzo Aduba) and "Red" Reznikov (Kate Mulgrew)! I can't wait for the next episodes!
Preview:
https://youtu.be/zLyUlTu4KbI

7.) "Louis Theroux", "Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends", and "Louis Theroux: L.A. Stories": Rolled these into one. Even if you don't usually like documentaries, you'll probably like these. My all time favorite journalist who often covers the weirdest of the weird, mostly in American society. I love his subtle sense of humor, ability to speak logically with the strangest people and to stay calm no matter what the situation. I first heard of him when I watched his inside story on the Westboro Baptist Church and his follow up with the youth that left it. Never boring!
One Preview:
https://youtu.be/VxWo7xbaUu0

8.) "Community": Quirky and hilarious with heart touching moments in a community college setting unlike any other.
Preview:
https://youtu.be/sBCE9oIuN24

9.) "Homeland": A controversial, thoroughly patriotic American show with suspense, twists, and topics that will prompt further discussion. I connected with one of the main characters, Carrie- a highly intelligent and skilled yet unconventional CIA agent who's secretly suffering from an illness. She is also the only one who suspects that an American "hero" is a threat to national security.
Preview:
https://youtu.be/W18ZHrU3XYQ

10.) "The Good Wife": It will have you thinking about what you would do in her shoes from the start. A politics and law drama with a strong female lead, interesting scenarios, dysfunctional families, romance, action, and all in amazing business outfits!

11.) "House of Cards": Really well made. Although I'm not a big fan of politics, I am of this show! A nearly unstoppable power couple as the main characters with an interesting supporting cast. American politics can get really dirty, and appearances aren't always what they seem (even though Claire's style and fitness level are to die for!).
Preview:
https://youtu.be/ULwUzF1q5w4

12.) "Call the Midwife": I highly recommend this show to ladies who like historical fiction! Midwifery is sewn all the way through the storyline, but the women's lives and stories during the 50's and 60's in a very poor district of London are what will really captivate its viewers.
Preview:
https://youtu.be/xTi2Dl0dF0Y

13.) "Luther": A favorite detective show of ours! Besides actor Idris Elba's good looks and stunning performance, this one has a lot going for it. An imperfect hero for a protagonist working in the thick of thrilling action, intriguing stories and mysteries, psycho criminals, dysfunction and passion. Setting: the dark underbelly of London.
Preview:
https://youtu.be/aEwrOnrlERY

14.) "TEDTalks: Let Your Mind Wonder": I've watched numerous TEDTalks videos-short educational lectures on a large variety of topics. The problem I occasionally run into with the other TEDTalks videos is that some of the speakers, while experts with share worthy topics, are not great public speakers. Visual learners, like myself, quickly lose interest. That's why I love that these are animated! Great for educators and families alike!

15.) "Sherlock": An excellent modern take on a classic! You will fall in love with British actor Benedict Cumberbatch, his character, and these stories all over again. I only wish there were more episodes!
Preview:
https://youtu.be/JP5Dr63TbSU

16.) "Cybercrimes with Ben Hammersley": Indulge your inner geek! A tech savvy journalist with a manly mustache (new addition to his resume?) breaks this topic down to a level that even the layman can understand in 6 episodes. Cybercrime is a subgenre not frequently covered in crime documentaries. So, I found this interesting.

17.) "Breaking Bad": It took me a long time before I got around to watching this very popular show. I worried that with all the hype surrounding it that I would only be left disappointed. While it did take me a while to really get into it, I found myself addicted and binge watching with my husband after the first season. Though I didn't find most of the characters very physically attractive or likeable as people, it was part of what made the show such a success. It's just so well made, and you can't say that about every modern show.
Preview:
https://youtu.be/HhesaQXLuRY

~LadyH


Don't be stingy now. Share it with all your friends and family!


Reader Response
Are any of your favorites included in my list? Would you add or subtract any if you were writing a list Netflix favorites?

*Remember, this list is UK Netflix specific. My favorites that are only found in the US version weren't included for organizational purposes.





Disclaimer: No company/organization/group asked me to write this. These are my own thoughts and opinions, and I am not intending to represent any other parties. This is blog is written for entertainment purposes only and is never substitute for professional advice of any kind. Please receive written permission from the writer before using this blog's contents in any way. The videos shared in this post are not my creation nor do I own them.